Get your Kitchen Spring-Ready!
What if you could take small steps to fall in love with your home again?
Last week I posted this article on the But First, Coffee Facebook page. I received quite a bit of positive feedback, from renters who were resenting their rental home, to those that just wonder if a better home is out there, or if a remodel will “fix” everything.
The fact remains. . .your house (or apartment or condo, or mobile home) is your HOME, not because of the walls and carpet or even updated paint colors. What makes your house HOME is the love that you put into it, the care you take with keeping it clean, and the love for your family that happens within those four walls.
I live in a 1958 ranch. Not a super cool restored Mid-Century Modern ranch. Just a ranch home. It is OBVIOUSLY adequate. Eight of us live here and we manage to not be on top of each other. We lack a proper dining room, but I have made our kitchen a cozy haven for us to gather and eat home cooked meals seven nights a week.
I am certain someone could come into my house, knock out some walls, give me an open floor plan (no thank you) and thoroughly modernize my cooking and eating area. Not only do I not have the budget for that, I don’t have the desire. My kitchen is just fine, thank you. . .and it is mine!
Lately, I’ve been drooling over all the bright, clean kitchens on Instagram.
Even though a full kitchen makeover isn’t in my budget, I’ve found some affordable ways to rediscover pride in my home, so I wanted to share them with you.
It’s amazing how something as simple as a good spring clean or a bouquet of fresh flowers on the counter can help you fall in love with the home you have — whether it’s a tiny apartment or your dream home. (Quick tidbit–I have tiny apartment envy every. single.day)
First, grab this free set of Mrs. Meyer’s spring hand soap + dish soap + multi-surface spray + spring kitchen towel with your first order of $20 from Grove Collaborative. You can choose from three limited-edition Mrs. Meyer’s spring scents: mint, lilac, or peony. (mint is MY fave!) If you’re already a Grove customer, you’ll receive free Grove walnut scrubber sponges (have you tried them? They ROCK!)
Then follow my tips to create a dreamy kitchen — just in time for Easter!
- Instead of treating spring cleaning as a chore set the tone for an enjoyable day by opening the doors to let the spring air in and brewing a fresh pot of coffee. (seriously, coffee makes everything awesome!!!
- Start with a clean slate. Mrs. Meyer’s multi-surface spray makes quick work of cleaning appliances, the inside of the fridge, countertops, and backsplashes. Plus, it leaves your kitchen smelling like a spring garden! I may be a little crazy addicted to picking up different seasonal scents throughout the year. It is a small indulgence that makes this chore fun for me!
- To get your pots and pans ready for new spring recipes, make a paste with Bon Ami and water and apply it all over. (Yes, this is the same powder your grandma used–it is still around because it WORKS!) Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe away those scorch marks with a sponge. I prefer Grove’s walnut scrubber sponges because they don’t scratch your cookware!
- The sink is probably the most used area in your kitchen but gets the least love when it’s time to clean. Grab the Bon Ami again and sprinkle it on your sink and faucet, rub with a wet cloth, and then wipe clean. To freshen up your garbage disposal, squirt Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap into the disposal and run the disposal with hot water. The mint scent is especially good for neutralizing odors!
- Just like a statement necklace can make an old outfit feel new, sink-side accessories can totally transform your kitchen. I love Mrs. Meyer’s hand and dish soaps because they add a pop of cheerful color to my kitchen and smell amazing!
- Treat your kitchen to a fresh new towel in a spring color. I consider these Grove chef’s towels an essential, since they work for everything from wiping hands, to drying spills and dishes, to grabbing hot pans. The cornflower blue color is brand new, and you’ll be among the first to get one! I am NOT kidding when I tell you that these towels are THE best! I own them in about five colors now, they are cheerful workhorses!
- Trick your guests into thinking you redecorated with strategically placed accessories like a bamboo cutting board, a wooden handle dish brush, or a stoneware tray (mine are all from Grove!).
- Of course, you can never go wrong with cut flowers. But lately, I love filling glass jars with fresh herbs like basil, mint, or chives. Decorative, and useful!
- I love to stroll through the dollar section in Target and pick up cute seasonal accessories for my kitchen table. Then I set the kids loose to create seasonal tablescapes.
Bonus tip: I’m a huge fan of Grove Collaborative because they help me create a healthy, beautiful home I can feel proud of. When you submit your first order using my link , you’ll be signed up for the free 60 day VIP trial. For 60 days, you’ll save even more with free shipping, free gifts, price matching, exclusive sales and personal service. It is a win-win!
Want to read more and never miss a hint, tip, recipe or giveaway? Sign up for my newsletter below! I hate spam too, so I promise to never waste your time or abuse your inbox!