Techie Thursday: Word Wall HD
Today I’m going to review a fun little app that some of you may already be familiar with. Last week I had a flash giveaway on my Facebook page for three of these apps, and my readers have enjoyed them so far. (That is another great reason to “like” my page, many of our discussions start here and extend over there, and sometimes I don’t have the time to run a full giveaway here, but can do a quick one over there!)
I was asked to play with and review the Word Wall HD app by Punflay. This is a lot of app for a 99 cent purchase price!
- Designed for emerging readers between the ages of 5 and 6. (I can see learners a year or two younger and up to one year older may enjoy the game as well.)
- The app has three parts, a Word wall that the learner can decorate with words she has learned and stickers earned through game rewards; a writing abc and writing words section; and four entertaining and challenging games. All of these parts work together to allow for different learning styles and introduces phonemic awareness and allows for logic as well.
- The graphics are appealing and the print is clear and easy to read. I would refer that the “a” used was the more common manuscript writing form as opposed to a typeset form, yet early readers are familiar with both types early on.
- The music is upbeat and not overly distracting, but it can be turned off if it is problematic.
- The graphics are geared more for girls than boys, but I don’t see this as a hinderance, it is nice to see a variety of apps that can work for a variety of children.
- Features 75 sight words, and 12 word families with 65 word family words.
I like this app. My children are currently either too old or too young for it, but I can see the girls really enjoying it in the future. I really enjoy that it is linked up with Smartots, and I get a weekly email letting me know what my child did on the app, how much time he spent on it and offers activities that I can do with him to reinforce the skills learned. I can see how this could really be helpful if used in a school environment. I also like that Punflay is a member of Moms With Apps, this collaboration assures me of a high quality app experience. This is am app I will keep on my iPad!