Working Mom Snow Day Solutions
Our public schools are closed due to extreme weather tomorrow. From the looks of my Facebook news feed, most of my friends throughout the Midwest are rejoicing over school cancellations.
Back when I was a stay at home mom, I lived for snow days. Those sweet, unplanned days of sleeping in late and enjoying pancakes in our pajamas were the best!
Now I have a career. A salaried position with limited paid time off, and a meeting scheduled tomorrow. Just because my kids get a vacation day does not mean that I do.
For tomorrow, I have no worries, it is already my husband’s day off, so he gets to sleep in with the kids and make pancakes!
However, if you are faced with a snow day and no contingency plans, here are some workable solutions:
- Take a personal day off. If you have a decent amount of paid time off accrued, this may be your best bet. You get to spend some fun time with your kids, and you still get to collect your paycheck. A win/win!
- Have a family member watch your children. Do you have grandparents or aunts/uncles in town? Give them a call and see if they would be willing to entertain your snowbound brood.
- Take a 50/50 day with your husband. I got this idea from my friend Kate. Her daycare was closed over winter break, so her husband took a half day off and she took a half day off to care for the children. My question is, who got to sleep in?
- Form a neighborhood snow day co-op. Set up a rotation with other parents on your street to take turns watching a larger group. If your community is anything like mine, you will only have to cover a snow day once every few years!
- Check with neighborhood resources. Some churches and organizations (like the YMCA or the like) will offer childcare for unscheduled school outages for a very nominal fee. check around to find if such a service exists, or lobby community leaders to start one.
- Bring your kids to work. This is probably not the most ideal solution, but can work in a pinch. I stock crayons and markers in my office, along with a liberal supply of lollipops. Add in some streaming Netflix on my iPad and everyone is happy, and I may even get some work done!
Chime in! Snow Days, love them or hate them? What are your childcare solutions? I’d love to hear from you!