When we were first married, spring cleaning was easy. My husband was in graduate school, we had no children (and eventually just one) and we lived in a teeny, tiny apartment.
Some spring cleaning tasks never even occurred to me. We moved once a year, on average, so by the time things started to get grimy, we would move!
Fast forward some 15 years. We have been in our home for nearly 12 years (this is the longest I have lived ANYWHERE in my entire life!). Spring cleaning really does have to happen.
I remember my grandma always doing a very thorough spring cleaning. She would throw open windows and wash her walls, and even pull out her kitchen appliances and clean behind them.
I am certain that all of this major cleaning was very satisfying in a way, but wow, that is a lot of time!
As I have organized our household, I have split many of these spring cleaning tasks up throughout the year. Some tasks happen weekly (like cleaning the microwave), some happen monthly, like cleaning the fridge, and some happen quarterly, like changing out the shower curtain liner and laundering the sheers in our living room.
By spreading out these tasks, it takes a lot of pressure out of my spring cleaning. However, there is still a certain satisfaction that comes with throwing open the windows and giving everything a scrub!
Here is a great way to get your spring cleaning off on the right foot!
- Carve out time to spring clean. Put it on the calendar. Get your family on board.
Bribe themif necessary.
- Ideally, spring cleaning should happen after decluttering. Spend one or two days the week before your scheduled spring cleaning day to get rid of as much clutter as you can.
- Open those windows and doors. Even if your day is a little chilly, the fresh air will make your home
- Turn up the music! A fun spring cleaning mix on Spotify, Pandora or Amazon Music adds energy and fun to your day!
- I teach people to clean like the pros–from the top down. Start by dusting the high shelves and getting cobwebs out of corners, and end with sweeping and vacuuming the floors.
- Work on one room at a time. Start with the rooms you spend the most time in–the family room and the kitchen. If you run out of time–those rooms will be a spring cleaning win!
- Don’t get sidetracked. Don’t let dusting a bookshelf turn into a project of cataloging all of the books in the house (or does that only happen to me?) Simply make a note of these future projects and attack them when you have the time.
- Make note of things in need of mending and repair and circle back to them once the cleaning is done.
- Once you are done, celebrate with dinner out or a family movie night
I think Spring Cleaning is more fun with fresh, clean, spring scents!
To help you refresh your home, my friends at Grove Collaborative are offering a free spring cleaning set with your first order of $20:
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring hand soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring dish soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring multi-surface spray
- Grove Collaborative bubble-up brush
- Grove Collaborative walnut scrubber sponges
Existing customers will receive free Grove walnut scrubber sponges — they’re sustainably made and perfect for all your spring cleaning tasks!
After a dreary winter, I always look forward to the return of spring and Mrs. Meyer’s spring scents: Mint, Peony, and Lilac. Mint smells just like the real thing — sweet and cool. (My favorite!) Peony and Lilac are subtle floral scents that remind me of a spring garden in bloom.
To me, a clean home begins with the products you use — so I’m always looking for ways to eliminate toxins in my cleaning routine. All of Mrs. Meyer’s products are made with plant-derived ingredients and essential oils, so I can feel good using them around my family.
In addition to Mrs. Meyer’s soaps and multi-surface spray, the spring cleaning set comes with a limited edition Grove Collaborative bubble-up brush with a beautiful wildflower print. Not only does it look beautiful sitting next to my sink
That’s where Grove Collaborative comes in! Grove makes creating a healthy, beautiful home effortless and affordable. They hand-select the best natural products and deliver them right to your doorstep, on your schedule. Grove has you covered for all your spring cleaning needs.
After your first order, Grove will recommend a personalized monthly shipment so you never run out of the products you love. You can add or remove products or change your shipment schedule with a few clicks. You absolutely do NOT need to have an order every month! There are things I do order every month (like the Seedling by Grove brand of toilet paper–our new favorite).
When you sign up for Grove using my link, you’ll get the spring cleaning set for free with your first order of $20. Plus, if you spend at least $39, you’ll receive a beautiful stoneware tray for free! It’s the perfect size to hold your hand soap, dish soap, and bubble-up brush.
Once you’ve submitted your Grove order, you’ll be signed up for the free 60 day VIP trial. I love being a VIP because I get perks like free shipping, free gifts, price matching, exclusive sales and personal service.
Mrs. Meyer’s seasonal scents always sell out fast, so don’t wait! Here’s how to get your free spring set:
- Sign up for Grove Collaborative here You will receive the Mrs. Meyers Spring Offer for free when you sign up.
- To receive this offer, your order needs to be a minimum of $20. Choose the combination of products and scents you love and receive your first box within a few days. Need some ideas
ofwhat to spend $20 on? I love, love, love the Grove Kitchen towels. Their dish brushes are fantastic as well. You can also find personal care items for the whole family. Click around the website, you are sure to find something that you love!
- You made it! Click Finish & Pay and place your order.